Read the stories about the experiences and feelings of Ben
and Chiao that resulted from them changing cultural environments.
Ask students, in pairs, to answer the questions:
1. What were the main issues/ conflicts experienced by Ben
2. Why were they experiencing these issues/ conflicts?
3. What did Ben and Chiao do to try and resolve the issues/
4. What role did communication play throughout the experiences
of Ben and Chiao?
NOTE: The stories and questions of this activity encourage
empathy for individuals who are visiting or settling into
a different cultural environment.
Conclude the lesson by asking students to identify ways that
they could assist a new student to settle into Australia.
NOTE: Some culturally sensitive strategies to assist new arrivals
from overseas can include:
• inviting him/ her out socially
• explaining what is done in Australia when at school
• being a good friend
• treating them as an equal
• introducing him/ her to the range of migrant services
Worksheets to download
Ben and Chiao(PDF)
Friends and Peers
Feelings About Myself
ESL Activities 3: Cultural
Activities 5: Iceberg
Activities 6: Pride
Activities 7: What
Activities 8: Who
Activities 9: Journeys
ESL Activities 10: Our
Paths to Australia
ESL Activities 11: A
Mixed Bag of Apples
Activities 12: Victims
Activities developed by teachers at Beverly Hills Intensive
English Centre, NSW